Last year, I tried to have my students make cookies that had were ‘inlaid’ with candy. I used Jolly Ranchers, which didn’t work too well, because the cookies were soft, and the candy was HARD.
This year, I tried using decorator sugar. I thought the sugar would melt into little pools of sugary glass, and make the cookies a success.
They were not a success. The sugar didn’t melt. It didn’t even fuse together. They were just cookies with piles of sugar on them. They still tasted good.
I was talking with the preschool teachers about it, and they said I should use chocolate. What a good idea! It should actually do what I want: fill the cut-out cookie spaces with a solid – but edible- substance.
On a side-note, the kids did take the opportunity to make all seven Dragon Balls, and wished that school would end.