Imminent Floors

For a while now, I’ve been planning to replace the stick-down linoleum tiles in my condo. I plan to put laminate flooring in my bedrooms, and tile in my kitchen. The tile was special order, so it had to be shipped, but it has finally arrived! Yay!

I met with the contractor and tile guy yesterday. They plan to start Monday. Woo hoo! Since the tile guy will be working in the kitchen anyway, I asked about him doing a backsplash. I was planning on blue tiles, but I’ve changed my mind. I want to stay neutral. I’m going with brown. As a bonus, these are some of the least expensive tiles I’ve seen. Nice!

Now I just have to figure out if the tiles on the kitchen floor should go long-ways or side-ways.

This entry was posted in Projects. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Imminent Floors

1. Deborah says:

That’s exciting!
    My vote is long ways. You wanted us to vote, right?

Holy cow – you’re going to live in a palace! This is very exciting!

I’ve heard that hardwood floors are usually aligned with the direction of the light, so my gut says to set them long-ways, but what do I know?

I, too, think longways… And if Mom votes for that, then the Seward women will have spoken… Ha!

4. Kristi says:

You can make those kitchen tiles look bigger by putting two side-by-side and then switching the direction on the next two tiles. We did that to our kitchen floor, and it made the space look much bigger. I think the phrase is “parkay” floor. (I have no idea if that’s how you spell it.)

5. Elaine Royuk says:

Long – it’s inviting! (Third Seward woman!)

6. Brad says:

Thanks for the input, everybody! I was thinking long anyway, so it was glad to have confirmation.

Kristi, I did ask about other arrangements, but the tiler said something about the tiles bowing or flexing or something. He said they could be set in a pattern where they’re stacked exactly next to each other, or he said they could be staggered by one third. I have asked for the staggered pattern.