Danger!

I had two brushes with death yesterday.

The first went like this: I was working behind Lloyd and Lauren’s house when I heard a loud crash. I looked over to see a huge tree limb had fallen from their giant oak tree. If I were only thirty yards to the right, that branch would’ve fallen on me! I could have died! …unless my ninja reflexes would have caused me to step aside just in time.

My life flashed before my eyes.  It was like browsing through old Bradaptation posts.

The second brush with death is ongoing. I was pulling weeds from behind Harold and Beth’s neighbor’s garage yesterday. It was dirty work, but the area looks nicer now. And I feel good that I did something for them in return for them giving me something I wanted. What I didn’t count on was getting a poison ivy rash. I didn’t notice it until I was getting ready for bed. I tried to put something on it to keep it in check, but Lloyd and Lauren seem to be pretty low on first aid materials. I found one bandage, and some tree-hugger, non-steroid, anti-itch cream.

Hopefully it won't spread to the rest of my body and leave me immobile on the floor in a big empty house all by myself.

This entry was posted in Journal. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Danger!

  1. Lauren says:

    Ah!! So many emotions in one post! The fright of the limb crashing, the laughter from the second picture, the worry from the rash, the concern of the first aid situation.

    There is medicine stuff in the drawer under the right sink upstairs, (No handle – it just looks like a toe-kick, kinda.) There are more band-aids, but somewhere in a different drawer is some cheap anti-itch stuff. I think the remedy for poison ivy is to set the rash on fire.

    • Brad says:

      Wow! That’s like a secret treasure trove of first aid materials. AND you had hydrocortisone. Yay steroids!

      (If the steroids don’t work, I’ll try the fire technique.)

      (Not really.)

  2. Carol says:

    Well, sir, now that you are already working on a P.I. rash, feel free to pull our batch of same from the fig bush out back when you return to Bawlmer. The stuff they sell at the store to kill it chemically would also tend to do us and the pets in if used improperly (and I never want to assume I won’t botch that up somehow…), so we’re letting it flourish right now – out of fear of another (annual) P.I. rash, you see. But since you’re already “committed” thus…

    Glad your life was spared, though! We miss you when you’re in NE enough as it is; missing you from an early demise would be even sadder.

    • Brad says:

      Have you tried gasoline? I bet that would kill it real good.

      • Carol says:

        …and/or give something for the neighborhood youth to ignite in their spare time. I’m sure you’re correct about the “good killing”, but “thanks but no thanks” for that idea – it still seems less than safe for the things we don’t want to kill…like us. Currently, we just let the dog walk all through it while he’s outside and then wash our hands often after petting him.

  3. Annette says:

    Hey Lauren:
    Does this make Brad to Pester’s neighbor, as Mr. Policky is to Sommerer’s?

  4. Peggy says:

    YAY…not dead….again! But really if that branch would have clunked you on the head, it probably would have only given you amnesia…dang, just think of the fun we could have had with that!!

  5. Peggy says:

    Oh and what did Beth & Harold give you?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *